video capture

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Thu Sep 28 03:08:46 MST 2006

Nathan England wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm trying to capture video from a composite input with audio coming into the
> line in port. I thought Kino would capture this, but apparently it only works
> with DV inputs. Xawtv just isn't cutting it.  Anyone use any decent programs
> for capturing video from a composite NTSC input?
>
> I can use kino or cinelerra to edit it later, maybe. I really don't want to
> have to use windows for this. I would hate to have to go buy a copy of that
> just to get some video off a vhs tape onto my laptop!
>
> nathan

I assume your trying to do this with some type of VIVO device from a
video card or something if your using software encoding and line
input's. I've never had a lot of luck with things like that. I have a
pvr-500 and a pvr-350 which you can easily just "cat /dev/video0 >
something.mpg" since its all encoded at the card. You could easily just
go pickup a PVR-150 or a pvrusb2 for pretty cheap from best buy, circut
city, frys, etc and achieve what your trying to do... It'd be cheaper
than buying windows and you'd get more of what you want out of it. (and
then some stuff you didn't know you wanted like an onboard tuner)

PVR-150 (requires ivtv)
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html

PVR-USB2 (i think this one works with 2.6.18 and v4l already)
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

Most of the other ones on that page require the same ivtv as the 150.
But its very easy to compile and install the kernel modules. I think all
of ivtv is slated to be in the kernel by 2.6.20. Anywho, mine stays up
capturing about 12 hours worth of video every day. I can't remember the
last time I had a problem the cards doing this day in day out.

-Mike