How do you reinstall Linux in a dual boot scenario?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Sep 26 18:34:13 MST 2006

Eh?  What are you talking about?  Anybody who has used Linux for more
than a few years will have re-installed different Linux distros
countless times on dual-boot systems.  It's not like this is some
esoteric task.

Step 1: Start the installation process like you normally would
Step 2: Don't let the installer do an automatic partitioning (if it has
the option)
Step 3: Choose your "old" Linux partitions and make sure they are
re-formatted before setting them for use in your "new" distro
Step 4: Continue and finish the installation process like you normally would

Any sane installer will write out a new grub (or lilo, if it's old
school) to the right sectors and you should be good to go.

The only case I can think of that would cause problems in this setup is
if you choose different locations for grub/lilo.  For instance, if you
chose the master boot sector in your "old" distro but the boot partition
in the "new" distro, then you'll likely have issues.

Now if you want to add a new distro to a system that is already
dual-boot (making it triple-boot, quad-boot, or more), then it gets into
slightly more advanced territory and you have to know your way around a
grub.conf file....