How do you reinstall Linux in a dual boot scenario?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 17:23:22 MST 2006

I will be installing http://www.ubuntu.com/ over the FC5 tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens if that will help.

Keith

keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote: Sorry,  I installed FC5 on a dual boot debian / win95 machine.  When I would start the machine it went right into FC5 - no menu. I was able to modify the grub config file and comment out "hidden" and then the next time I booted i saw the menu.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As I recall when I initially installed debian I was given the option of including the "other" O/S ... that was a while ago and it was lilo.

I do not recall being given an option to configure grub during this install.  I actually thought I had aborted the install, which was months ago, until I tried to boot the machine and it booted into FC5.

Keith

Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote: You guys keepo saying the same thing.  Yes, most/all distros will add windows to the grub menu.  What not one of you has clearly  stated is that you are talking about a reinstall rather than an original install of linux to dual boot with XP.  Since few, if any, of you are likely to have actually have done this, I will create a dual booting machine and then reinstall the linux to test that scenario sometime this week just to be sure

On 9/26/06, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote: I recently installed FC5 and it added "hidden" to the grub config. This cause the menu to not appear.  Commented it out and windows was listed in the menu as "other".

believed to be clean.

- - - - - - -
Keith Smith
 http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html
Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.  Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2�/min or less.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss ---------------------------------------------------

Keith Smith