(no subject)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 26 14:23:59 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 12:48 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 September 2006 12:21, Alexander Henry wrote:
> > keith smith wrote:
> > > When you say open a connection are you talking telnet?
> >
> > Nope, SMTP.  SMTP is a protocol which is just about as "open" as telnet,
> > though.  PERL has CPAN modules which "just does it".
> > MIME::Entity->build() followed by  Net::SMTP->new() then
> > $smtp->data($mime->stringify()) then $smtp->dataend().
>
> You need to be a little careful when talking about TELNET to differentiate the
> protocol from the utility.  You can indeed use the 'telnet' utility to open
> an SMTP connection to an MTA.  I do that all the time for testing purposes.
----
we're not being entirely clear here.

telnet is a utility program and also a known service (port 23).

you can use the 'telnet' utility to open a connection to various ports
on a system with the intent of an interactive session via TCP/IP such as
using

'telnet smtp.west.cox.net 25'

to open a connection/session using the telnet utility program with the
host smtp.west.cox.net on the known service port 25 (SMTP) and actually
send e-mail.

Most servers don't accept connections on port 23 from the public any
longer as that just permits too much mischief.

Craig