(no subject)

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Sep 26 12:48:55 MST 2006

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 12:21, Alexander Henry wrote:
> keith smith wrote:
> > When you say open a connection are you talking telnet?
>
> Nope, SMTP.  SMTP is a protocol which is just about as "open" as telnet,
> though.  PERL has CPAN modules which "just does it".
> MIME::Entity->build() followed by  Net::SMTP->new() then
> $smtp->data($mime->stringify()) then $smtp->dataend().

You need to be a little careful when talking about TELNET to differentiate the
protocol from the utility.  You can indeed use the 'telnet' utility to open
an SMTP connection to an MTA.  I do that all the time for testing purposes.

$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.