Wireless link solution?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Sep 25 06:19:18 MST 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:40:51PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> There is a kind of wireless bridge which is useful for connecting clusters
> of machines wirelessly.  Buffalo calls it an ethernet converter.  Basicly,
> the box has 4 ethernet ports and acts as a shared wireless client to an AP
> somewhere else on the network.  If that AP is in your router, then all
> machines can be happily part of the same network.  The machines connected to
> the 4 ethernet ports only think they have a wired connection.  BTW I have
> tried this out but for someone else so I cannot speak to any bottlenecks or
> other speed issues.

I have a similar LinkSys product, which they call a wireless bridge
(WET54G). Note that it actually *IS* a bridge, so it passes DHCP and
everything else. That makes for simple setup. I have had sporadic
trouble with it losing the access point for minutes at a time for no
apparent reason.

I'm also using an older LinkSys WRT54G w/ sveasoft in client mode, which
acts much like the Buffalo described above. It never loses the AP.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |