kubuntu on old laptop

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Sep 23 16:13:20 MST 2006

I had what was probably the most painful install experience of my entire
life trying to put kubuntu on an older laptop. Unlike older
ubuntu/kubuntu versions, this one wants to load the LiveCD and do the
install from there. The laptop in question didn't have much RAM (192K)
and was fairly slow. But, Ye Gods, it was just awful trying to do
anything at all.

I believe there are alternate install CDs, hopefully an older style
plain install. I didn't know better, so I didn't get one.

For comparison, I *installed* OpenBSD in about the time it took to load
the kubuntu LiveCD. Actually installing kubuntu took hours.

So check out alternate ISO images if you have old, slow, low memory
hardware! Using a LiveCD with Gnome/KDE as an installer seems pretty
braindead. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! ;)

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |