Transfer home directory?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Sep 16 16:03:17 MST 2006

> Suppose you buy a new computer and want to transfer your /home/user
> directory from your old computer to the new one.  In this case both
> computers are running the same distro so that is not an issue.
>
> Is there anything different to doing this beyond the usual file transfer
> methods?  In other words, is there anything among the settings, etc. in a
> user's home directory that would break when used on different hardware?

Just make sure that the ownership (user/group) of the files is okay.

Sometimes, your dot files or dot directories  (~/.*) may have
configurations or caches that use a slightly different syntax unless the
same versions of the software are available on both machines.

In most cases, it is all fine.

I frequently use same home directories on different distros of Linux and
different BSDs.