Website contributions (Was: Re: The site is down)

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Sun Sep 10 22:41:27 MST 2006

der.hans wrote:
> I think Nagios and Kerberos would be great topics. Last I knew ASU was
> stil big into AFS, which means it's big into Kerberos. As an added bonus
> Paul is back

That reminds me in an offhand way... at work, we tend to give projects
names from Greek or Roman mythology.  For a recent project, I chose
Cerberus (it was a server with three "heads", sorta) as the name.  I got
exactly one objection to the name from someone who said it might be
confusing to some of the sysadmin folks who might confuse it with Kerberos.

I got a huge kick out of that.  First, of the 50-odd people that will be
dealing with "our" Cerberus server, how many know what the original
Cerberus/Kerberos *is* in the first place?  Second, of those people, how
many know that they are alternate spellings of the same creature?  Then,
of *those* people, how many are familiar with the Kerberos, the network
authentication protocol.  Finally, of those (two or three) people, how
many would be SO familiar with all of the above that they would actually
get the two confused?! :-D

Okay, maybe it's not that funny but I still smile when I picture some
lone uber network authentication geek with all of the posters of
Cerberus/Kerberos on his wall.