Linux Computer Names not found

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:35:46 MST 2006

Actually, /etc/hostname DOES contain the machine name (same as is
output from uname -n.  /etc/hosts contains resolutions for other hosts
but ATM only contains some helpers for IPv6 hosts. And Yup I am still
looking for where they are initially set.  (Took a nap for a while
tho).

On 9/7/06, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:
> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > Found this in Man dhcp-options (5):
> >       option host-name string;
> >
> >          This option specifies the name of the client.  The name may
> > or may not be qual$B!>(B
> >          ified with the local domain name (it  is  preferable  to
> > use  the  domain-name
> >          option  to  specify  the domain name).  See RFC 1035 for
> > character set restric$B!>(B
> >          tions.  This option is only honored by dhclient-script(8) if
> > the  hostname  for
> >          the client machine is not set.
> >
> > This would seem to indicate there being an expectation that hostname
> > for the client machine would normally be set at th time that
> > dhclient-script runs.  Furthermore, if it were the send host-name
> > "foobar" would not override it.  Is it possible that dhclient is being
> > run by init BEFORE the the init script that sets up the $HOSTNAME and
> > /etc/hostname?  That would certainly explain this behavior.  Anyone
> > know?
> >

> On FC5, $HOSTNAME appears to be set in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
> Of course, rc.d and rc.sysinit don't appear to exist on ubuntu.
> I think you mean to reference /etc/hosts, not /etc/hostname
>
> On FC5 (and RH derivatives) HOSTNAME is set in the /etc/sysconfig/network
> file. I know that debian derivatives don't do it that way.
>
> I can't find anywhere on ubuntu that HOSTNAME is set, except in
> /etc/pcmcia/network and /etc/pcmcia/network.conf, which shouldn't come into
> play (I wouldn't think) with a PCI NIC card.
>
> I'll go now, seeing as I'm pretty much useless regarding this problem.
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss