Linux Computer Names not found

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Sep 7 16:57:09 MST 2006

Dazed_75 wrote:
> Found this in Man dhcp-options (5):
>       option host-name string;
>
>          This option specifies the name of the client.  The name may
> or may not be qual$B!>(B
>          ified with the local domain name (it  is  preferable  to
> use  the  domain-name
>          option  to  specify  the domain name).  See RFC 1035 for
> character set restric$B!>(B
>          tions.  This option is only honored by dhclient-script(8) if
> the  hostname  for
>          the client machine is not set.
>
> This would seem to indicate there being an expectation that hostname
> for the client machine would normally be set at th time that
> dhclient-script runs.  Furthermore, if it were the send host-name
> "foobar" would not override it.  Is it possible that dhclient is being
> run by init BEFORE the the init script that sets up the $HOSTNAME and
> /etc/hostname?  That would certainly explain this behavior.  Anyone
> know?

On FC5, $HOSTNAME appears to be set in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
Of course, rc.d and rc.sysinit don't appear to exist on ubuntu.
I think you mean to reference /etc/hosts, not /etc/hostname

On FC5 (and RH derivatives) HOSTNAME is set in the /etc/sysconfig/network
file. I know that debian derivatives don't do it that way.

I can't find anywhere on ubuntu that HOSTNAME is set, except in
/etc/pcmcia/network and /etc/pcmcia/network.conf, which shouldn't come into
play (I wouldn't think) with a PCI NIC card.

I'll go now, seeing as I'm pretty much useless regarding this problem.
--
-Eric 'shubes'