IPs and masks

Randy Melder randymelder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 14:24:00 MST 2006

Actually, unless you are using a software firewall on one or both machines,
or you physically have a firewall hardware between machines, your route
won't even touch it. .101 and .105 will talk directly to each other.

To continue on this thought, your problem is not your addressing if all of
your private addresses are locally connected or you have a NAT on your
firewall routing 192.168.1.101 to an outside address.

If you are using windows, try the following:
1. Open an MS DOS prompt.
2. Type: nbtstat -c
3. Type: net view

If you see other computers on your network, then you're in good shape.

Next...
4. Type ipconfig /all

If your IP and subnet mask are correct, then....

5. Type ping 192.168.1.101

If it replies, then your issue is with local settings.

6. Type: tracert 192.168.1.101 to see your route to .105.

Hope this helps,

; ) .randy

http://spindomains.us/