Processor speed

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Nov 29 07:54:26 MST 2006

Michael Havens wrote:
> I know overclocking the processor is bad but I was thinking that it might
> be underclocked. How do I see this?
>
> You know.... I was watching top run and it says that opera use 16ish% and
> Xorg use 10is% of the processor. Then there are 5ish processes which total
> less the 10% of the processor
> everything below that says 0.0% of the processor so I don't think  my
> processor is at fault for it ...... but when I start some applications
> things are slugish. Perhaps I should overclock the processor since I
> rarely start those pss and things would start quicker thereby reducing the
> use of the processor. What do you think about this idea?

sowsEar != silkPurse

You might be able to help speed by moving to an *ultra* lean distro, or
trimming *every* least bit of fat from the one you have. But it's
*never* *ever* going to run like a 3GHz dual-core w/ 1G ram.

I had a 486/66 that I used until the hard drive died, but I used pine
and lynx at console. Nothing I could have done would have made it snappy
under Gnome. Nothing. Period.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |