root user and any GUI

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Nov 28 21:02:08 MST 2006

> > "sudo xterm"  worked for my on Ubuntu.
>

> Works but all it does is open a new xterm as root.

It was just an example. And it appears it works.

If that works and is not what you want, I guess I misunderstand from all
these emails.

If "xterm" will start as root, other X clients should too. If they don't
provide the exact error message and other details -- and maybe we can
help.

> Usually it doesn't on other systems I use.
> >
> > Also try as root:
> >
> > export XAUTHORITY=/home/yourloginuser/.Xauthority
>

> Didn't  help but I don't know what you meant by "set HOME again".

I am not sure why that doesn't work for you. I guess you and I are doing
something different. Or maybe your .Xauthority does not exist? Or maybe
you are on a different system (running clients on different system than
the server itself) -- and you could use ssh -Y or xauth to work around
that.

Anyways, "set HOME again" means if you want your HOME to be /root then you
may need to export that.