root user and any GUI

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 20:19:54 MST 2006

Same result as below except that it says root@ being added ...

> xhost +root at ldesk which also fails with:
> >
> > > root at ldesk being added to access control list
> > > X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for
> > > operation)
> > >   Major opcode of failed request:  109 (X_ChangeHosts)
> > >   Value in failed request:  0xfe
> > >   Serial number of failed request:  7
> > >   Current serial number in output stream:  9
>
> I get same. Looking at code, but don't know. I will research this.
>
> "sudo xterm"  worked for my on Ubuntu.

Works but all it does is open a new xterm as root.

Usually it doesn't on other systems I use.

> Also try as root:
>
> export XAUTHORITY=/home/yourloginuser/.Xauthority

Didn't  help but I don't know what you meant by "set HOME again".

And then you can open X clients as root. (I already have that as my normal
> user account on Ubuntu and sudo doesn't lose this environment variable.)
> You may also need to set HOME again.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss