root user and any GUI

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:02:22 MST 2006

I totally misunderstood you.  The route you take is the route I was suggesting.
Instead of getting a root shell, have you just tried:
su - root -c "whatever"
?
Also if it's something you do on a regular basis, you could always
smack together a script instead of dealing with typing the quotes and
all.
I start up gui tools that require root like this, a lot.

"xhost +" removes all X auth problems, except MIT cookie items I
believe.  Others may be able to elaborate on that.

--Dan

--
"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte