root user and any GUI

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 14:52:09 MST 2006

Either I am missing something or I am not being clear to you.  95+% of the
time I simply use sudo or gksudo to do things needing root permissions. I am
happy to do so and do not mind having to enter my password.

The other 5-% of the time just having to add the sudo and sometimes (I don't
always know why) having to quote parts of the command line is just plain
irritating.  I "su -" and enter roots password and go on my merry way
KNOWING that I need to excercise extra caution but not having to take extra
steps to do my work.  During those times it would sometimes be handy to use
tools available via the gui desktop without having to spend 20-30 minutes
finding out HOW to do so since they are tools I do not know how to run from
the command line.

I think I should be able to do that without removing the need to use a
password with sudo.  I further think someone was on the right track earlier
with xhost but I suspect that is only part of the solution.  But then I am
probably just wrong.