GAG boot loader needs improvement IMHO

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sun Nov 26 07:24:58 MST 2006

JT Moree wrote:
> Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>> Is there some reason you don't simply put /boot in a separate partition?
>
>> If/when the mbr gets clobbered, restoring grub to the mbr is easy. Simply
>> boot a knoppix or rescue cd and:
>> # grub
>> grub> root (hd0,0)
>> grub> setup (hd0)
>> grub> quit
>> # reboot
>
> Yes, that's what I used to do.  I was using one that doesn't go with any
> system and storing other cross system data there too like a map of
> partitions.
>
> I'm tired of doing it that way.  This is the process I have recently
> gone thru:
>
> which /boot do I use?

I don't understand why you have to ask this question. Do you have separate
boot partitionS, or a single *shared* boot partition? If it's shared there's
only one, so what's the point of this question?

The only problem I ran into with this setup was Ubuntu seeing the CentOS
kernels and thinking that they were Ubuntu and adding them to menu.lst when
they were already there (outside of the magic portion). No big deal removing
them from the menu.lst though.

> The one for kubuntu or debian or Fedora or . . .
> perhaps the one that I mostly use as the primary desktop?
> What about when I change from debian to kubuntu as my primary desktop
> and blow debian away?

The single *shared* /boot handles this nicely.

--
-Eric 'shubes'