Filters for .gif spam?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Nov 22 10:54:01 MST 2006

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Darrin Chandler wrote:
>> I've seen a couple of those come through lately, but not too many. Are
>> you greylisting?
>
> No, I am not.  I'm too lazy to manage the upkeep of it.  I would always
> prefer to do a lot of work up front and nothing afterwards than a steady
> bit of little work.  My problem with greylisting is that it doesn't work
> for the business notification type emails without some work.
>
> For instance, say I order from XYZ store for the first time and want to
> get my receipt emailed to me.  I would have to modify my greylisting
> setup to allow that email since there is no way that their automated
> system will do the proper reply to get past it.  This would have to be
> done for every business that I'm a customer to.  Not a lot of work...
> but a little bit for a long time.

That should only be a problem for two circumstances that I can think of:
(1) You want the reply NOW, not in a little while, or (2) Their mail
system is horribly broken and won't retry properly.

Doing greylisting myself, I have seen both. It's never been nearly
enough of a problem to make me give it up. For me, situation (1) means
doing a little bit of work once in a great while. I don't often need the
reply RIGHT NOW. YMMV.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |