Lighter file manager/browser/email

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Nov 21 06:49:46 MST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 06:37:15AM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> silly me- I forgot to mention that I run ice as the window manager
>
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 6:30 am, Michael Havens wrote:
> > I hate it that I can't really have more than one thing on my deaktop w/o
> > having to wait for at least 15 seconds for something new to load. Kernel
> > 2.6 is a memory hog! As  such I think that  I need to be running lighter
> > weight apps than kmail, konqueror, and konsole. I think I know the terminal
> > program to run (which is xterm) but don't know about the file
> > manager/browser. Could you all give me some advise?
> >
> > On a related note: what is 'xterm (unicode)'?

It depends on how light you want to get...

Midnight Commander (mc) is still pretty popular as a file manager, and
it's lightweight. It's text mode, but displaying filenames and such
works fine in text mode. Why have a fat GUI app to display filenames?

Lynx is a small and fast browser, but it's also text mode. Much bigger
difference in user experience. I'm sure there are light(er) weight GUI
browsers, but I'm not familiar with them. I live with the memory sucking
hog known as Firefox.

As for 'xterm (unicode)', that means it supports unicode. ;) If you
don't plan to do unicode stuff in your terminal then you don't need it.
There have been issues with some unicode support in the past, so unless
you need it you may consider doing without.

--
Darrin Chandler
Phoenix BSD Users Group (PhxBUG)
dwc at bsd.phoenix.az.us