dump

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sat Nov 18 15:24:14 MST 2006

betty wrote:
> thank you for your response;
> what i want the result to be is that i have an internal backup of my
> entire drive , in case hda fails someday.
> what i would like to do is, once the whole drive (hda) is copied to hdb,
> to periodically just do updates so that it stays a mirror of hda. is
> that possible?  i don't plan on ever using hdb, and hdb is a large as hda.
> so if i do ;
>
> # dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=4k
>
> as you suggested (changing hdc to hdb, of course)
> would i need to partition the drive (hdb) first??? or just format it?

Neither. Just do the command, and it'll do a bit for bit replication,
partitions and all.

> i have never booted from a live CD so i guess i have to dig one out of
> the drawer of software, i know i have at least one, i think knoppix and
> maybe mepis??.

Either would be fine. Anything that'll get you to a command prompt.

After you have the initial copy, you can use the rsync command periodically
to keep them in sync. I don't know the exact syntax for that off hand.
Someone else here undoubtedly does though.

> betty i
>> : Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:05:53 -0700
>> From: "Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug at shubes.net>
>> Subject: Re: dump on to hdb
>>

>> I think that dd would be better suited.
>>

>> What do you want the result to be? How do you plan to use the new and old
>> drives?
>>
>> If you want your new drive to look exactly like the old one, and the new one
>> is at least as large as the old one, you can easily do this with dd (new
>> drive is hdc in this example):
>>
>> # dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=4k
>>
>> Be sure that you boot from a Live CD before doing this, as both drive should
>> not be mounted when doing this command.

-Eric 'shubes'