dump

betty nicepenguin at webcanine.com
Sat Nov 18 14:27:16 MST 2006

thank you for your response;
what i want the result to be is that i have an internal backup of my
entire drive , in case hda fails someday.
what i would like to do is, once the whole drive (hda) is copied to hdb,
to periodically just do updates so that it stays a mirror of hda. is
that possible?  i don't plan on ever using hdb, and hdb is a large as hda.
so if i do ;

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=4k

as you suggested (changing hdc to hdb, of course)
would i need to partition the drive (hdb) first??? or just format it?

i have never booted from a live CD so i guess i have to dig one out of
the drawer of software, i know i have at least one, i think knoppix and
maybe mepis??.
betty i