Ubuntu vs. Apple [WAS: Re: Novel and Microsoft]

Matt Nesteruk matt.nesteruk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 22:38:03 MST 2006

Were all my previous PC laptops in the desktop replacement category?  I am
not sure what the desktop replacement category is.  The last PC laptop I
used was a Sharp 2.4 gig P4, 15in display, and a gig of ram.  It was big and
heavy.  The battery was less then a year old, and it lasted around 45 min.
 Be for that, I had a Dell
700mhz.  It lasted no more then an hour.  Prior to the dell, i owned a
compaq. again, no longer then an hour.

I have not owned a think pad in a while.  The last one i probably had my
hands on was in the 200mhz days.

New advancements in battery technology have definitely improved the life of
laptops in the past 2 years.
One issue i did notice over the years, was power management under linux.  Al
thought it improved over time, it destroyed my laptop batteries.  I do
not know the current status of it. I have not used it on a laptop since i
purchased the ibook.

I have the same cisco card.  I think the 350 is very nice.  My ibook does
not have any PCMCIA support.  I assume it was sacrificed to keep the size
down.

-matt