X11 and OO?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Mon Nov 13 18:18:06 MST 2006

Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>  Open Office is Java based.  I use it regularly on Windows.  What makes
> you say that OO only runs on X11?

For the record, Open Office is *not* Java based and it never was.  It is
written in C++ and has been since the StarOffice days.  It has an
optional ability to integrate with Java for something or other.
Plugins, I think.  I never remember.  In any event, the key word there
is "optional".  You don't need Java at all to run Open Office.

That's an *extremely* common misconception, though.  It was "common
knowledge" even back in the StarOffice days, years ago.  I never knew
were that came from.  Maybe because StarOffice/OpenOffice is so bloated
and slow and because it can use Java, people assumed it was written with
Java?