New Dev Server

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 11:33:03 MST 2006

Hey everyone,

It's been 6 years since I've looked at hardware at the hardware level.  So I am unfamiliar with what RAM is out there ... Motherboards .... ETC.

Please forgive me I am in the beginning stages of my research.

I am looking at building a new dev box.

I do not want to buy the top of the line / most expensive.  I usually buy mid-level.  I find the best bang for the buck at this level.

I'm thinking of a box that will serve as a dev box for 2 years and a dev work station after that.  I will use it as a server and may also use it as a server/workstation combo at times.

(dev = php/perl/java/mysql ... ETC)

I'm thinking

- 17'' flat panel
- 2+Ghtz CPU / AMD preferably
- Gig RAM
- DVD reader writer
- Mini tower with 400watt ps (is this over kill?)
- I have a keyboard
- scroll mouse
- I have several serviceable IBM 20G HD's that I will use.
 - NIC (nothing special)
- Video card (something decent / not too expensive)
- Sound card

I looked at newegg and thought of frys as well.  I am wondering if a bundle would be the way to go then add what else I want.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Keith

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html