Java and OOo

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Nov 11 19:25:27 MST 2006

There was a big debate during the development of OO.o 2.0 regarding the use of Java, in the end it came down to "if we're going to release this decade, Java's in", so Java is required.  This was actually a big part of the reason Apache started the Harmony project to create an Apache J2SE JVM.
Remember, Classpath is still missing a LOT of important Java library objects.  They're only about 0.5% of the total, but they're an IMPORTANT 0.5%.  Because of this NO free JVM (Not GNU, not Harmony, not Sable, not Kaffe, NONE) will fully enable OO.o at the moment.  This is changing rapidly, however, and I would expect that both Classpath and the OSS Sun JVM will be able to provide truly Free support for all Java features in the next 6-8 months.

In the meantime, STOP trying to run OO.o with the GNU GCJ/GIJ combination, IT WILL NOT WORK.