kubuntu - rpm like functionality

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Nov 11 12:12:16 MST 2006

Because I don't think the package he wants is in main.
I agree with JT about using Adept (although I thought GTK was already installed on Kubuntu by default), I just don't have it available to work out the precise steps, and I didn't want to have him messing with the APT config files at this point.
If anyone wants to post the specific steps for Adept to add the universe and multiverse repositories for Kubuntu, that would probably be helpful.

Mike Garfias wrote:
> why not just apt-get install <package>?

> No, No,  don't do that.  Adept works fine.  Synaptic will pull in a
> bunch of gnome/gtk dependencies that you dont need yet.
>
> Adept has three modes on Kubuntu.  I dont like that but that's the way
> they set it up.  If you use Add/Remove programs on the main menu it
> gives you a subset of packages.  I don't know what criteria they
> use to
> narrow the package list and I think this should NOT be limited like it
> is.  When I complained on the forums the answer was use the other
> Adept.
>
> I think the idea is to give novice users a quick link to a general set
> of packages including everything currently installed.
>
> You need to use the Adept link under System.  It has all the available
> packages and you can manage repositories to add universe multiverse
> etc.
>  Which I don't reccommend doing until you know you need to.
>
> --
> JT Morýe
> PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.