kubuntu - rpm like functionality

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri Nov 10 23:42:45 MST 2006

perform the following:
sudo apt-get install synaptic
<bunch of stuff about install, or a note that it's already installed>
sudo synaptic
In synaptic, select Settings|Repositories
In the dialog there is a list of active repositories, there should be around 4-8 of them.
For each Kubuntu repository (Kubuntu, Kubuntu Security Updates, Kubuntu Updates)  double click it and make sure all 4 checkboxes are checked
Close the dialog, you should be prompted to reload the package list.
You can now install packages from synaptic, or via command line via apt-get (i.e. sudo apt-get install pysol)
APT handles all of the dependencies, so you just install the package you want, and any other required packages are installed automatically.

Good luck
==Joseph++