Server recommendations

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Nov 6 16:32:03 MST 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 04:05:46PM -0700, Jason Etchason wrote:
> My company is currently looking to purchase a Linux server for a web
> app that comes with the specs listed at end
>
> My questions are:
>
> Does this sound reasonable for a LAMP stack w/ additional resources
> used for a backend app?
>
> Is Fedora a descent distro?  I'm only familiar w/ slack for toying
> around at home.  Unfortunately I'm the guru here, which says naught
> for the company.  Which leads me to the next question...
>
> Any recommendations for support on this stuff?  We're located on the
> west valley, 59th & Bell.
>
> Here are the specs:
>
> Intel Xeon 1.6 GHz with 2 Gb. (Minimum) 4 Gb. (Recommended) Memory
> * Recommend SuperMicro motherboard.
>
> Seagate 36 Gb. SCSI hard drive with Adaptec SCSI Controller)
> * SCSI Controller comes standard with SuperMicro motherboard
>
> Standard CD Rom for installing Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3.0 or above or
>  Fedora Core 1
>
> Standard 1.44 Floppy
>
> 3Com 10/100 base Ethernet Card
> * (2) 1 gigabit base TCP/IP ports (standard on SuperMicro motherboard)
>
> Standard AGP video card
> * Standard on SuperMicro motherboard
>
> Estimated Total Hardware
>
> System cost: approx. 							$6300.00
>
> With RAID 5 system							$8800.00

Unless I'm missing something, you that's WAY more pricetag than what
you're getting! There must be something you're leaving out.

I've got a dual Opteron at 3GHz with RAID 5 on a SuperMicro mobo in a
nice 2U case for around $3.2K. That's 2 processors running at a full 64
bits, and 205G of RAID-5.

Tell you what, I'll sell you the same thing I have for a mere $4000. Or
let me know who you got that quote from and I'll let you know where I
bought mine. ;)

Reall, really, either there's something I don't know about the system
you're talking about or you're paying WAY, WAY TOO MUCH.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |