Server recommendations

Jason Etchason loomis53 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:05:46 MST 2006

My company is currently looking to purchase a Linux server for a web
app that comes with the specs listed at end

My questions are:

Does this sound reasonable for a LAMP stack w/ additional resources
used for a backend app?

Is Fedora a descent distro?  I'm only familiar w/ slack for toying
around at home.  Unfortunately I'm the guru here, which says naught
for the company.  Which leads me to the next question...

Any recommendations for support on this stuff?  We're located on the
west valley, 59th & Bell.

Here are the specs:

Intel Xeon 1.6 GHz with 2 Gb. (Minimum) 4 Gb. (Recommended) Memory
* Recommend SuperMicro motherboard.

Seagate 36 Gb. SCSI hard drive with Adaptec SCSI Controller)
* SCSI Controller comes standard with SuperMicro motherboard

Standard CD Rom for installing Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3.0 or above or
 Fedora Core 1

Standard 1.44 Floppy

3Com 10/100 base Ethernet Card
* (2) 1 gigabit base TCP/IP ports (standard on SuperMicro motherboard)

Standard AGP video card
* Standard on SuperMicro motherboard

Estimated Total Hardware

System cost: approx. 							$6300.00