OT - Off-Topic - Re: HDTV signal options.

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Fri Nov 3 14:29:28 MST 2006

.
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:13:31 -0700, Eric \"Shubes\" wrote
> Hey Joe,
> Can you point me to that promo?

It came in one of those direct-mail tabloid packages with grocery ads,
etc., with this phone number: 800-707-9077. On the bottom of the page
was this unlabeled number: RG417575A.  This is what the ad said:
$29.99/month for 10 months after mail-in redemption.  It includes 26
HD channels plus 80 standard channels.  Plus it includes one premium
movie package for 3 months free. Choose: starz, hbo, showtime, or cinemax.
Includes standard installation for up to 4 rooms and no equipment to buy
with a "free" HD receiver upgrade.

When I called, I was told there is an activation fee of 49.99 charged
on a credit card that will be refunded on the first bill.
(Why do they go through all this silly rigamarole nuisance?)
There is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you don't like the serivce.
You have to fill out a form to mail in to get the $20/month promo
discount off their regular $49.99 monthly fee for the first 10 months.
This is an 18 month agreement so it goes up to $49.95 after the first
10 months.  If you cancel after 10 months, then they will charge a
$13.33 per month cancellation fee on remaining contract months. So, if
I cancel, then that would mean the actual cost would have been $39.99
per month.  (Again, why do they play all these silly games?)  Or, if
I continue for 8 more months, then the average cost per month for
18-months will actually average out to $38/month. But that is still a
lot cheaper than Cox or DirecTV and Dish has twice as many HD channels.

I figured it was worth a try and I can cancel in 30 days if it's
not satisfactory.