OT - Off-Topic - Re: HDTV signal options.

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:45:48 MST 2006

Sort of a tangent off of this (well, more of a question regarding it),
has anyone in the north phoenix/deer valley area set up an HD reciever
to get HD over air?  How's the quality?  How many channels can you
pick up?
Reason I ask is because I'm using DirecTV right now for like
$50/month.  TiVO and all, which is nice. (yes, TiVO, not DTV DVR)  I
want to get an HD receiver card, slap together a MythTV box for DVR
capabilities and call it a day.  I'm just not sure how the quality is
up here, or how many channels are actually received.

Disclaimer: I watch TV a total of 1-2 hours a week, and I cram
everything I record into that time.  I'm not one of those people that
sits in front of the TV watching one channel while anothers recording,
and flips to the recording to watch it while something else
records....

On 11/1/06, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> I've done this, and it's a beautiful thing. Simply an antenna in the attic,
> coax down to the TV, and voila. I get great signal strength (Chandler). Half
> of the HD channels cable/sat offers (all the local ones are HD signal, not
> necessarily programming). One time cost: antenna + coax. Monthly: $0. No
> support headaches: Priceless.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte