Novel and Microsoft

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Fri Nov 3 08:05:43 MST 2006

My $0.015 (not quite 2 cents) worth . . .

Like the article points out, virtualization is a huge trend in the IT
industry.  Full virtualization (VMWare, MS Virtual Server) are slow
compared to paravirtualization (Xen).  Companies are looking to
consolidate and virtualize servers, so if Microsoft partners with a
Linux company that already has a paravirt product, then they sell more
OS licenses.

Red Hat states that with paravirtualization under Xen 3.0.3, near native
speeds are achievable.  Anyone who has used VMWare knows it is nowhere
near native-speed.  In my own Xen experiments, it is very responsive and
snappy.  [Side note - I went to Fry's to price out a mobo/CPU/RAM combo
that would support Xen - just $800!!!]

There are two Linux vendors that support Xen - SuSE (AKA Novell) and Red
Hat (well, not yet, but they will next year when RHEL5 comes out).  The
MS/Novell team will perfect running Windows under Xen and take the
market by storm.  95% of Fortune 500 companies use Novell products (saw
that somewhere).  100% use Microsoft.  These two companies are already
deep inside corporate America.  Red Hat isn't.

The next few years are going to be really interesting.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
623-203-1760