Novel and Microsoft

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 07:52:05 MST 2006

Seems to me M$ likes to extend and own.

I don't know how it would all fit together however I think they might think they can slowly erode open source by adding extensions that become widely used which are closed....

Any time I see M$ I think they are up to no good.... it's not a simple business model to make money .... it is a model to over run and own!!!!!

They are the true pirates of silicon valley and the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote: The way I understand it, If you contribute to an open  source project the
project stays open source, This means MS and Novel are reeling in a red
herring when it states that they WON'Tassert their patents. This tells me
that there is an alterior motive.... now, we wait for those who have a clue
to comment :!)

As part of this agreement, Microsoft will provide a covenant not to assert its
patent rights against customers who have purchased SUSE Linux Enterprise
Server or other covered products from Novell, and Novell will provide an
identical covenant to customers who have a licensed version of Windows or
other covered products from Microsoft.

 First, Microsoft will work with Novell and actively contribute to several
open source software projects, including projects focused on office file
formats and web services management.  Second, Microsoft will not assert its
patents against individual non-commercial open source developers and users.
And third, Microsoft is promising not to assert its patents against
individual contributors to openSUSE.org whose code is included in the SUSE
Linux Enterprise platform, including SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE
Linux Enterprise Desktop.

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html
http://mail.yahoo.com