Dual boot Disaster

Carl Parrish lists at pcl-consulting.com
Thu Nov 2 15:45:41 MST 2006

Well okay I'm hoping you guys can help me make it not a disaster
I just tried to help a friend by installing Suse 10.1 on a dual boot
over Win XP media center on her new HP Pravillion a1600n (btw has anyone
else ever noticed that its *much* harder to get "friends" going with
linux?) Anyways the Suse 10.1 install seemed to go okay (I've got a
network issue but I'm pretty sure I can figure that one out) But when I
rebooted Grub gave me four options
 1) Suse 10.1 - this one boots fine
 2) Windows1 - hangs
 3) Windows 2 - PC Recovery Screen
 4) Linux recovery.
  When I try to boot Window 1 I get a black screen display then "chain
loader (hd 0, 0) +1, then it hangs. When I try Windows 2 I get a
recovery tool (I'm thinking if I use this it will blow away Suse).  So I
checked /boot/grub/menu.lst it has chain loader(hd0,0) +1 for Windows 1
and chainloader(hd0,1)+1 for Windows 2. I'm guessing I have to make some
changes in grub but no clue what. Any ideas or docs?