(no subject)

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed May 31 12:49:21 MST 2006

Am 31. May, 2006 schwätzte FoulDragon at aol.com so:

> In a message dated 5/31/2006 1:58:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> PLUGd at LuftHans.com writes:
>
>> Ah, well we need to fix it not being able to access the Internet :).
>
>> You mention a dialer below. Dunno about getting it to work under
>> GNU/Linux. Maybe you can get GNU/Linux working in xen or something on the
>> m$ side and allow GNU/Linux to access the Net.
>
> I recall there were attempts to make a workalike dialer long ago, but it
> looks like the development got stopped.  I see reports of a "give us the domain
> name before we sue you."  The tutorials I see make it look like less of a
> nightmare, but that says little.

Ah, doing business by suing others. Wonderful :(.

> However, even then, it's still a lot of stuff on the far side of a 56k
> connection.  I should either get a disc set of slamd64 (since there's no Official
> 64-bit Slackware) , or a DVD of something else.  I like BSD inits and
> nongraphical boot.

Set it up to download while you're sleeping. If it's not done when you get
up, interrupt it. Start it up again later. *NIX tools have handled that
smoothly for years. I believe m$ download tools will also restart
downloads from the point of interruption rather than from the beginning.
If they don't, get a Free Software tool that will.

>> dev tools haven't disappeared. You just can't fit everything on one CD.
>> I'm amazed by how much does come on one CD.
>
> They should put the dev tools back and dump that prissy GNOME stuff.  I only
> like fvwm anyway. :D
>
>> How about shrinking the m$ side down to less than the limit, then at least
>> the start of the new partition will be in space it can see?
>
> Somehow, resizing a "live" NTFS partition seems a recipie for disaster.  Got
> a suggestion for a disc imager that can make a nice pretty restore disc, cos
> I'm not spending all evening rebuilding TWICE in one month?

ntfsresize, I believe, is the name of the tool to seek out. system rescue
CD might have it. System Rescue CD might also be one of the presentations
for next week :). There have been some bugs in ntfsresize, so check the
site for how to aquire a working version. I think the bugs were for
specific weird conditions, but I have no idea as to whether or not your
system might be in such a condition...

>> I'd think it would just ignore the extra partitions in a Schulzian "I see
>> nothing" way. That's how it normally treats ext?, reisers, ufs, etc.
>> partitions.
>
> That's what I figured when I put the partitions in the spare 30Gb.

Maybe something's horked on the m$ side?

> Aside:  The Win2000 install disc is the STUPIDEST installer in the universe.
>
> I had an 80Gb drive.  I set the "Limit to 32Gb" partition because it was
> crammed onto an old Celeron which didn't know better.  It booted and said "We've
> got a 32Gb drive with an (old) 80Gb partition."  Delete the 80Gb partition and
> it will try and create another 80Gb one, only it will mangle the partition
> table to the point there are several random "free space" blocks totalling 500Gb+.
> I had to dig out Mandrake 9.1 disc to fix the partition table.
>
> The recovery mode is worthless; you can't even copy files to a floppy.  I
> doubt fdisk /mbr is available even. :/
>
>> Run m$ from within a virtual machine on GNU/Linux :).
>
> Are those any less sucktacular lately?  I recall the hope for
> freemware/plex86, how they got to a point where it would boot a Win95 install, albeit very
> slowly, but then they decided "ah, let's just use it to virtualise Linux on
> Linux"

I have no idea what works for people running virtualized m$. I do know
people are doing it. I don't think they're all using vmware, but I get the
impression that vmware is still the best functioning virtualization tool
when running m$ stuff.

wine and qemu might allow you to run just the parts you need. I think qemu
will also run the whole OS.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/