(no subject)

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Wed May 31 11:33:16 MST 2006

In a message dated 5/31/2006 1:58:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
PLUGd at LuftHans.com writes:

>Ah, well we need to fix it not being able to access the Internet :).

>You mention a dialer below. Dunno about getting it to work under
>GNU/Linux. Maybe you can get GNU/Linux working in xen or something on the
>m$ side and allow GNU/Linux to access the Net.

I recall there were attempts to make a workalike dialer long ago, but it
looks like the development got stopped.  I see reports of a "give us the domain
name before we sue you."  The tutorials I see make it look like less of a
nightmare, but that says little.

However, even then, it's still a lot of stuff on the far side of a 56k
connection.  I should either get a disc set of slamd64 (since there's no Official
64-bit Slackware) , or a DVD of something else.  I like BSD inits and
nongraphical boot.

>dev tools haven't disappeared. You just can't fit everything on one CD.
>I'm amazed by how much does come on one CD.

They should put the dev tools back and dump that prissy GNOME stuff.  I only
like fvwm anyway. :D

>How about shrinking the m$ side down to less than the limit, then at least
>the start of the new partition will be in space it can see?

Somehow, resizing a "live" NTFS partition seems a recipie for disaster.  Got
a suggestion for a disc imager that can make a nice pretty restore disc, cos
I'm not spending all evening rebuilding TWICE in one month?

>I'd think it would just ignore the extra partitions in a Schulzian "I see
>nothing" way. That's how it normally treats ext?, reisers, ufs, etc.
>partitions.

That's what I figured when I put the partitions in the spare 30Gb.

Aside:  The Win2000 install disc is the STUPIDEST installer in the universe.

I had an 80Gb drive.  I set the "Limit to 32Gb" partition because it was
crammed onto an old Celeron which didn't know better.  It booted and said "We've
got a 32Gb drive with an (old) 80Gb partition."  Delete the 80Gb partition and
it will try and create another 80Gb one, only it will mangle the partition
table to the point there are several random "free space" blocks totalling 500Gb+.
 I had to dig out Mandrake 9.1 disc to fix the partition table.

The recovery mode is worthless; you can't even copy files to a floppy.  I
doubt fdisk /mbr is available even. :/

>Run m$ from within a virtual machine on GNU/Linux :).

Are those any less sucktacular lately?  I recall the hope for
freemware/plex86, how they got to a point where it would boot a Win95 install, albeit very
slowly, but then they decided "ah, let's just use it to virtualise Linux on
Linux"