where to buy server locally

Darin Wayrynen darin at deru.net
Tue May 30 20:28:21 MST 2006

> Author: Mike Garfias
> Date: 2006-05-30 18:24 -700
> To: Main PLUG discussion list
> Subject: Re: where to buy server locally
> Darin -
>
> Your numbers there are a bit off. I took a WAG based on the prices quoted on
> your site for what it would cost me for a 1U box with 1Mbps.
>
> According to your page, a 1U system is $45 in rack fees, and $135 for 50GB
> with each additional GB being $3.
>
> 1Mbps = 330GB (roughly)
> 330-50 = 280
> 280 * 3 = $840/mo
>
> Right now I pay $100mo for rack space with bandwidth included (1Mbps 95th
> percentile) with each additional Mbps being $100. So $100 vs your $106, but
> your $106 doesn't include the same bandwidth that is included in what I get.
>
> So it really looks more like 1/8th the price. And there are cheaper deals out
> there (I just didn't feel comfortable using them). We get monitoring, remote
> reboot, serial consoles, etc included. The downside is that my box is in LA,
> not local. But I pay a friend of mine in LA to go down there and beat on it
> when the serial console isn't enough.
>
> Not trying to flame you in anyway, but just keep the numbers straight.

Hi Mike,

I understand you aren't trying to flame me, nor was I trying to flame
you.

But I think you are not comparing apples to apples so it's sort of
hard for anyone to keep their numbers straight.

You are quoting our highest data center price (we have two price
points), and then trying to manipulate the GB price to compare to your
95%tile megabit price in California which is not even quoted on their
web site - so you are using off list pricing against our most
expensive onlist pricing...

We have different rates for 95%tile measurement than GBs used
measurement.  We offer both types of billing - based on our clients
preference.

Anyone wanting to pre-purchase a full megabit, or 330 GB's isn't going
to be paying the numbers you quoted.  The price for colocating a 1u
server using 1 megabit of bandwidth is not going to be 8 times or even
5 times what you are paying in the bay area.  It might not be as
inexpensive as the bay area, but your server will be closer to home so
you won't have random support costs of having your box serviced over
there.  Depending on the bandwidth you really use, it might even be
cheaper.

The point I really would like to make is that 95% of our customers
don't use the bare minimum amount of bandwidth we charge for - it's
not even close, so comparing our minimum charge to a provider that
gives 1 meg or 10 megs or 100 megs of bandwidth for one flat price,
and then trying to manipulate our price to match isn't based on
reality.  Sure if you are using 1 meg, then you have to make those
adjustments, but I'd venture to guess that most people reading this
thread are not using 330 GB's a month of bandwidth.

Using that sort of comparison logic you are overpaying at layer42 when
you could lease a server from ev1servers (who has a much better
network than layer42) where you can get a 10 megabit un-metered line
AND a server for $199/month - which means you are paying 5 times more
than you could be paying for a 10 meg line...

Write to me offline if you want to see if we can make it worth your
while to move your server back home.  With our remote kvm solution you
won't even need to go down and pound on the keyboard yourself unless
you like sitting in cold data centers or have bad hardware.

:-)

Darin