Rhythmbox plugins

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Thu May 25 11:02:03 MST 2006

Hello everyone:

I have a system running Centos 4.3.  It has Rhythmbox 0.88, which needs
plugins to play audio files.  I researched on Google and decided I
needed gstreamer and the gst-plugins.  I didn't see an RPM for my
version of Centos so I downloaded the source and compiled and installed
it successfully.  (I used version 0.8.12 instead of the newest version
because I did not want to update my glib.)  Rhythmbox still won't see
the plugins.  I've see instructions that say I should use yum to install
the plugins, but this doesn't work, probably because I installed from
source and not an RPM.  How do I install these manually-compiled
plugins?  On a wild guess I tried copying the lib* files from
/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.8 into /usr/share/rhythmbox, but that didn't
help.  There must be a simpler solution.  Has anyone done this before?
Thanks!

Vaughn