qmail toaster: 554 mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0)

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Wed May 24 03:04:29 MST 2006

I just set up qmail toaster and ran into a similar problem.  I edited
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run and put this as the first lines
after the shell definition:

# Following added by GT:
SIMSCAN_DEBUG=2
export SIMSCAN_DEBUG

QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/simscan"
export QMAILQUEUE
# End addition

This allowed me to tail the smtp log (tail -100f
/var/log/qmail/smtpd/current | tai64nlocal) and see what simscan was
doing.  This led me to discover that my virus scanner was failing to
execute (as the permissions were wrong due to an incorrect umask when I
built the toaster - you will notice the new qmail toaster instructions
tell you to set your umask - yeah that was me).

It will make your logs grow and rotate quickly - once you have solved
the problem, take the lines back out and recycle qmail.

Hope this helps.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.