386 vs 686 kernels

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat May 20 08:41:03 MST 2006

On 5/17/06, Empty <plug at emptiedout.com> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > 2) Is there any good reason for a package manager like Synaptic NOT to
> > recognize and suggest the possible upgrade?
>
> What you have works. Synaptic doesn't suggest things that work *better*
> per se. Much like most linux distros never touch the hard drive and use
> things like hdparm.
>
> ~Ben

Interesting followup.  Yesterday I loaded a Kubuntu 386 on an 1 GHz P3
machine.  When I ran its updater, it DID suggest a 686 kernel as one of the
many updates.  A fact I did not notice at the time since I just accepted all
updates without looking through them.  It wasn't until later that I saw the
GRUB menu list had the 686 kernel on top.

  - James M. Barrie