386 vs 686 kernels

Empty plug at emptiedout.com
Wed May 17 01:10:10 MST 2006

Dazed_75 wrote:
> I do understand what the basic difference is between the 386 and 686
> versions of the kernel and would expect that the 686 kernel would be
> an advantage with my P4 3 Ghz machine (actually for any machine with a
> newer than 386 processor).  My question though is twofold:

Anything better than a Pentium. Pentium Pro and Celereon are the bottom
of the 686 kernels.

> 1) Is there any drawback to upgrading my Ubuntu 5.10 (or 6,x soon) to
> using a 686 version of the kernel?

Nope- in fact there's probably one available in apt.

> 2) Is there any good reason for a package manager like Synaptic NOT to
> recognize and suggest the possible upgrade?

What you have works. Synaptic doesn't suggest things that work *better*
per se. Much like most linux distros never touch the hard drive and use
things like hdparm.

~Ben

--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.