Small Linux boxes?

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Wed May 17 11:25:18 MST 2006

Alan,
That's interesting.  I wonder if he's using "Industrial Grade" or "Standard
Grade" media?  I'm still leaning toward a microdrive, since I don't need to
worry about the box getting jostled around much.

For now, I am building the prototype on an ancient little Seagate 260MB hard
drive I found in my junk pile.  I'm experimenting with read-only filesystems
to maximize whatever media I end up using for the final product.

In case anyone is curious, I started monkeying with Debian initially to make
it run read-only, but then I found Pebble Linux
<http://www.nycwireless.net/pebble> which has already done all the Debian
work for me and still provides full APT functionality.  I was able to get a
Pebble box running in about 15 minutes and then spent several minutes
disabling and removing all the wireless-specific stuff that Pebble builds in
(it's focused on creating wireless access points).  Done.  Very nice.

Now, on to the applications!

...Kevin