Hiring Computer Techs.

Jason Spatafore jason at spatafore.net
Tue May 16 11:46:23 MST 2006

You have a point. However, to keep within the context of the conversation.
The original conversation was "We're hiring technicians." The reply was
"What good is an A+ certification when my teacher was an idiot?" The reply
to that was "Certifications are important with regards to the job
announced." The reply to that was "I thought a bachelors of science is
much better." My reply was "What good is a programmer who can't build a
computer?" (Paraphrased, of course.)

Of course, my reply was completely within context of the original
announcement. I know programmers are important, I want to become one. (But
tell me why degree in programming doesn't require heavy math? Because I
suck at math. But when it comes to database design and database style
programming, I'm good. But there are no degrees which offer a "mathless"
path to a BA degree.) Anyway, the jobs offered are not of a programming
and development nature (except the Java one)...they are about following
instruction, testing, and providing worthwhile feedback. So, in the
perspective of the conversation, programming is not as important as an A+
certification. In the real world...I believe they remain the same level of
importance. But that is whole other topic.

I get annoyed when people like to come up some type of negative response
or even portray a holier than thou attitude in general. In the exact
context of the conversation, the A+ technician has as much worth as a
programmer. The programmer will get paid more in a programming job, but
will make the same if placed as a technician.

Now, I don't want all of you sitting here thinking I am trying to make you
look bad. And I won't sit here and say that Certfications are worth
more-than education. They both have merit and add value. However, for a
computer technician job, many programmers will be passed up. (And many
programmers will pass up technician jobs.)

The bottom line to the certification debate is that certifications are
important. Not everybody has the job which enables them to go to college.
Not everybody has the brains to be in the top 10% of their class to get a
scholarship. And not everybody has a rich relative who will pay their way
in college. And, not everybody wants to throw themselves $50,000 in debt
to get a degree. For those people, there are certifications which help
prove their knowledge without padding the pocket books of a university's
owner. Instead, they pad the pocket book of the company providing the
certification...but it's a much smaller hit on a wider scale. :)