Hiring Computer Techs.

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue May 16 11:20:27 MST 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 05:41, Jason wrote:
>  >>  I figured (stupid me) "B. Sc. Computer Science, 4.0 gradepoint" would
>  >>  carry
>  >>  more weight. :/
>
> What good is a programmer who can't setup a computer correctly?

Hmm.. I'll have to *completely* disagree with that.  The ability to program a
computer is entirely disconnected from anything about the physical computer
itself.  Back in the day, programmers didn't even have access to the
computers.  They wrote out their programs on punch cards and submitted them
to be run overnight.  Much more recently, my wife wrote most of her programs
in college in long-hand on paper and would sit down in front of the computer
only to type it all in, compile, and run it.  She still has never physically
configured any computer and doesn't change any default setting on the
computer... Yet she is a first-rate programmer.

That's somewhat the case even where I work now.  There are a few of us that
are hyper-aware of how our computers are setup (which OS, how massively
customized is our OS, what tools are installed, how the tools are configured,
which desktop.... everything) but there are even more that don't care at all.
You give them a computer already setup and they use it as-is.  That doesn't
diminish at all their value as computer programmers.  Honestly, if we cared
about their ability to setup the computer, they would have been hired as sys
admins, not programmers.