Wanted Someone to Coordinate the Westside PLUG Meetings

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Sun May 14 07:02:37 MST 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:54:16 -0700
Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> Darrin Chandler wrote:
> >
> >>We need someone who has a relationship with the east side
> >>presenters so they might be enticed to visit the west side.  And, I
> >>am not that person.
> >
> > I'm curious as to why you want to entice east siders to visit the
> > west side?
>
> The difficulty George expresses here is that presenters for the East
> Side Meetings rarely volunteer to go present at the West Side Meeting.
>
> George has been faithfully working to make sure a West Side Meeting
> happens.  He is providing the west side with a wonderful service but
> can't be expected to present every month (if that is what he is
> doing). The PLUG map[1] shows that the "center" of PLUG membership is
> biased toward the east side of the valley.  This may explain the
> difference in ability to get presenters.
>
> It is not just George who has a hard time getting presenters to take
> their East Side Meeting show on the road to the West Side Meeting.
> Hans and I regularly ask East Side Meeting presenters if they can do
> the West Side Meeting too.  Most decline.  With gas prices as high as
> they are, I don't expect this problem to change.  I have attended the
> West Side Meeting and presented a few times but the approximately 60
> miles round trip from my home is not something I do very often.
>
> West side Linux users need to step up to present and keep the meeting
> going.  If you don't have enough attendees perhaps you should change
> activities to attract more active members[2].  It could be argued that
> we on the east side should do more to bolster the west.  But, the west
> side needs to stand up for what they want to have happen.  Then, the
> rest of us will help where we can.

Just wondering out loud here (and I'm fairly new):
is there a school/place closer to central phoenix where E/W could both
meet at one time? What about where the development meeting takes place?

That way everyone is "inconvenienced" the same way. I know it would not
be easy. I, for instance only live 2 miles away for now. However if my
house EVER gets built that will be a different story, but I will still
come never-the-less.

But that way our meetings would be a little bigger, no separate
meetings would mean that a presenter would only be obligated to present
to one group -- we might get more presenters that way. Also the
comraderie would be better.

Jerry

> Alan
>
> [1]http://plug.phoenix.az.us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=36
> [2]http://tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.3

Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
Registered Linux User: 275424

This email's random fortune: Every cloud engenders not a storm.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"