changing key behavior

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed May 10 17:52:55 MST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 05:31:51PM -0700, Alex Dean wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> >It's odd that this behavior would change suddenly. Did you update
> >or install anything around the time this happened?
> >
> >One handy thing to see when you're at the shell prompt. Type Ctrl
> >+V, then hit backspace. It should print "^?". Ctrl+V, Del should
> >produce "^[[3~". If you're seeing those then you're OK up to a point.
>
> I had this issue a while back, and never resolved it.  I'm on Debian,
> and I just did 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  Amid all the packages that
> were upgraded, I saw the following output :
>
> >Setting up console-common (0.7.58) ...
> >Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/keymap.sh ...
> >Looking for keymap to install:
> >NONE
>
> Is this normal?

I'm not the best guy to ask about Debian. It could have been looking for
a keymap override, and not finding one used the default. Still, you
might want to check out what keymaps are available. There might be a
US-Meta-Alt-Backspace map that would make your keyboard behave the way
you and almost[1] everyone in the world expects.

Footnotes:
[1] The people who decide how PC keyboards work in *nix are the ONLY
people who want it to work that way. It's blindingly obvious we're not
using vt220 keyboards.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |