Games (was Re: Doom.)

Matt Mets matt.mets at gmail.com
Fri May 5 07:56:00 MST 2006

One question that needs to be asked is what version of doom you wish to run:

If it is one of the old ones (Doom I or II), then legacy will probably work
fine with an older video card (I believe it has some acceleration on newer
cards, but the geforce is probably more than enough).  All you need to do is
get a copy of the game you want to play, so you can get the WAD (Doom data
file) from it, and then you can use the linux engine to play it.  If you
arent sure if it will run, you can download the Doom I shareware WAD (just
search on google, it is legal to download) and see if that works on your
computer.

Doom III was officially ported to linux, so if you want to play that then
you just need to get a copy of the retail game, and then download the Linux
binaries from ID.  For that though, you will definately need a pretty beefy
system and video card.

In general though, it really depends on the game you are interested in.
Some newer games (such as Quake 4 and Unreal Tournament 200x) have been
ported to linux, but other games such as Halo havent.  The reason that there
are so many Doom engines available for linux is that ID open-sourced the
code a while back.  You might even want to check out some native linux
games, such as SuperTux.  The linux game tome (at
http://www.happypenguin.org/) is probably a good start.

Best of luck,
Matt