Silly Apache Question...

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Thu May 4 15:15:59 MST 2006

Check your logs... /var/log/apache/error_log &
/var/log/apache/access_log (or wherever they may be).  Use "tail -f
error_log" to view the log as it is occurring, and watch what is going
on, if anything.  Some things won't log to error log if it's intended to
be running, but if a webpage is called and apache is "serving it", then
there will almost always be an entry in the access_log.

If Perl is running with the apache process, it could be MRTG if
installed, or even AWStats, which will write up webpages based on
traffic used by Apache.  The one process with "popuser" sounds like
webmail or some POP3 program that uses Perl... Horde?  I use
squirrelmail with imap, so I'm not even sure what webmail programs
utilize CGI/Perl anymore :-\

And as was suggested, check your crontab too.  /etc/crontab,
/etc/cron.<hourly/daily/d/monthly/etc>, and as root (or other user)
"crontab -l" to list what crontab the user your logged in as has set to
run.

  Tony Evans
  Phoenix Wing Interactive
  johnseth at phoenixwing.com