Silly Apache Question...

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Thu May 4 14:33:20 MST 2006

On 5/4/06 2:11 PM, "Zeddy" <zeddicius at falldowngoboom.org> wrote:

> How can you tell what apache is doing.... i'm having something happen  every
> night at like 3am....

Do you see anything interesting in your access.log about that time?

> USER      PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
> popuser 57198 11.3  0.0     0    0  ??  Z     3:29AM   0:00.00   (perl5.8.4)

That is strange looking output for PID 57198.  What is that?

> killing and restarting apache fixes it... but... it kills  everything.... cus
> it's beating on the server....
>
> is there anything like top that would show what site is doing this...

Take the child PID for the runaway httpd process and run it through `lsof`
to see what file descriptors it has open.  You might also use a sniffer like
ethereal (or even just tcpdump) to capture the inbound traffic around that
time.

I would also look for any unusual shell processes around that time, in case
someone has found an exploit to drop a shell (again a sniffer would be most
handy here).  For that matter I would examine ANY processes that started
after the spike (3:29am in this case).

...Kevin